Bellie Church is located in the heart of the Speyside village of Fochabers. Built in 1797, the present building is among the finest pieces of work produced by architect John Baxter from Edinburgh. Elegantly steepled, the building is Category A listed.
In recent years, there have been several structural improvements, including the installation of three vibrant stained glass windows as part of the Bicentenary celebrations in 1997. This was followed by the replacement of the 120 year old pipe organ with a modern Allen organ in early 2007 and major internal renovations (including a 180 degree rotation of the sanctuary, the creation of a larger chancel area, the replacement of the ceiling, a complete rewiring of the church building, an upgrade to the heating and lighting system and the installation of audio visual equipment) in 2009 as part of the Bellie Church re-order project. At the same time, the pews were removed and replaced with moveable chairs, to enable the sanctuary to be used more flexibly for worship.
During 2016, further significant renovations were made to the Clock Tower and the congregation commenced Heritage Tours of the building. WIFI was also installed in the sanctuary, for use in worship and for Mission and Outreach projects such as Messy Church. This was followed with the installation of audio visual equipment to facilitate modern, interactive and participative forms of worship in 2018.
Click here for a map showing the location of Bellie Church. The postcode for satellite navigation systems is IV32 7DG.
Bellie Church Hall
Bellie Church Hall was built in 1985 at the rear of the church in part of the manse garden. It is used by a wide range of organisations, which utilise the facilities available on virtually every day of the week.
In addition to the main hall area, there is one small meeting room, an office as well as the Session House. There are good toilet facilities, including disabled facilities and baby change. The hall is gas-fired centrally heated and has a fully equipped kitchen. In 2015, the original boiler system was replaced with a modern boiler and WIFI was installed for the benefit of the Young Church and for use in the church office.
It is an ideal venue for functions and is often used for fundraising events such as Coffee Mornings and Quiz Evenings for both church and non-church organisations, and currently hosts the 2nd Fochabers Brownies and 1st Fochabers Rainbows every week.
Speymouth Church stands just outside the village of Mosstodloch, on the west of the River Spey. Built in 1733, it is often referred to locally as The Red Kirk for its prominent red coloured walls. The church building, which is Category B listed, received a new roof structure in 1991.
Following the completion of a new extension to the building in February 2004, the rear of the church holds a vestry, disabled toilet facilities, kitchen area and small hall. The small hall hosts the Revellers Music Group each week.
In 2008, the organ was replaced with a new Allen organ and relocated to allow the rationalisation of the worship area. In 2015, some of the windows were replaced and the kitchen area was upgraded.
The church is located in a tranquil area in the leafy countryside approximately one mile north of Mosstodloch, out on the Essil road towards the village of Garmouth.
Click here for a map showing the location of Speymouth Church. The postcode for satellite navigation systems is IV32 7LE.